Monday, May 12, 2008

1985 Booster Gold House Ad



Let me set a scene for you: By 1985, I was already a comic book geek, but most of my comics still came from 7-11, flea markets, and friends. UtoteM was a novelty in my neighborhood-- a rarely visited convenience store that entertained a totem pole theme in its signage. By '85, it had been bought out by Circle K, itself an unknown quantity to myself at the time. I see this ad in a comic, and not quite aware of the difference between the newsstand and specialty market, am disappointed when the K fails to provide me with the promised pin (while supplies last) upon my purchase of Booster Gold #1. Unimpressed with the story, art, and character, said pin was the sole motivation for my purchase.

Later, I would pick up a crossover between Booster and the John Byrne Superman comics I was following at the time, as well as his appearances in Justice League International. You could say I was an early adopter of Booster Gold, except I disliked the character from his first appearance, and have continued to dislike him for the past 23 years. I could almost like his costume, but since Michael Carter is in it, no, I can't seem to do that, either. I don't care if he was intended as a satire of materialistic 80's culture, that he was a JLI mainstay, or that he had a funky unique costume. Even his animated appearances leave me cold.

I just have to say, the sum total of this character to me was always the value of that stupid giveaway pin that was never given away to me. His powers suck, he's a lousy influence/role model, his "personality" is a contradiction of that term, and it should have been him instead of Ice to die during the crumby "Judgement Day" 90's crossover. Hell, I'd rather he bought it instead of the robot duplicate of Mr. Miracle that perished in the Despero JLI arc. That's how little use I have for Booster Gold. Among my least favorite super-heroes ever.

Just thought I'd share. Didio, next crossover, do him already?

No comments:

...nurghophiles...

Blog Archive

Counter


Surrender The Pink?
All books, titles, characters, character names, slogans, logos, and related indicia are trademarks and/or copyright of their respective rights holders.