Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #15


Crossed #0
DC/Wildstorm: Dreamwar #5
Mercy Sparx #0
Rest #0


Crossed #0 (Avatar, 2008, $1.00)
Is it just me, or after that Greyhound decapitation incident, does this series seem eerily prescient. Murderously insane religious fanatics all pounce at once across a national landscape in this eleven page story. I think Garth Ennis and Jacen Burrows did a great job here, but not enough to get me to buy the eventual $25-30 trade collection. It's a shame Avatar keeps giving readers a tantalizing taste of their wares, only to bait-and-switch with an overpriced trade.


DC/Wildstorm: Dreamwar #5 (DC, 2008, $2.99)
I accidentally missed the fourth issue, which seems to be where all the much needed exposition took place. There's enough carryover here so that I know what's going on, but revelations also render the whole hullabaloo pointless, seeing as the premise is the only story being offered


Mercy Sparx #0 (Devil's Due, 2008, $0.99)
Where Avatar keeps offering me cheap samples of books I want to read but not pay for, Devil's Due tends to offer assurance I'm not missing anything there. The eight pager establishes Mercy as a pain in the ass Suicide Girl type with too much attitude, in a version of Hell not far removed from our own reality. Excuse me while I stifle a yawn. Six unlettered preview pages make clear more of the same is forthcoming, while the art by Matt Merhoff is serviceable but uninspired.


Rest #0 (Devil's Due, 2008, $0.99)
Spoke too soon. Milo Ventimiglia stars in a comic that should have probably come out at Virgin, but is surely glad it didn't. Starfucking bids for movie options aside, Mark Powers script actually drew me in, even if it did give me some "Matrix" flashbacks. Shawn McManus' typically cartoonish pencils are given a painterly treatment by Lizzy John, and they turn out better combined than nearly anything I've seen from McManus solo. Lizzy gave cover artist Roger Robinson the same treatment, making Tim Sale's solo cover look bad by comparison. One to watch, I think.

No comments:

...nurghophiles...

Blog Archive

Counter


Surrender The Pink?
All books, titles, characters, character names, slogans, logos, and related indicia are trademarks and/or copyright of their respective rights holders.