Monday, June 29, 2009

Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care #35

Dellec #0
The Incredible Hercules #129 (2009)
Jonah Hex #43 (2009)
R.E.B.E.L.S. #4-5 (2009)




Dellec #0 (Aspen, 2009, $1.99)
I tried all the early Image books, and found Mark Silvestri's to be the most derivative and least interesting, even against limp competition like Rob Liefeld and Jim Valentino. I've never been fond of Michael Turner's work either, him being the other artist most closely associated with Silvestri's Top Cow Productions. So when Turner broke off to form Aspen Studios, essentially his half-assed version of Silvestri's fairly tepid company, I was overwhelmed with indifference. I know both have their fans, as they grind out action/sci-fi/fantasy fare of a dependable quality, but they never did anything for me.

Still, I'm actively looking for genre material outside the big two, and Aspen keeps offering introductory priced preview issues, so I tried again after Soulfire: New World Order: Beginnings. As should come as no surprise, this also sucks. It reads like a video game adaptation of The Da Vinci Code, or maybe someone watching the first half of the movie and deciding it needed a bad ass on a boss hog... with spikes! It's cryptic, yet also obvious, not to mention plain dumb. You can save your two bucks and just read it free online here, with Aspen's full consent. Or should that read "fool consent?"



The Incredible Hercules #129 (Marvel, 2009, $2.99)
I picked this book up because it promised to finally explain the revolving door policy of Marvel Comics' afterlife. The explanation was cute, as was the banter between lead characters Herc and Amadeus Cho. The issue was new reader friendly, and I enjoyed my visit well enough, but not quite to the degree required to buy the next chapter of the serial. No flies on writers Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente, though. Penciller Ryan Stegman's a good storyteller, but whether it's his style or inker Terry Pallot's, the line weights are all wonky in that tattoo flash/'80s indie comic way.


Jonah Hex #43 (DC, 2009, $2.99)
There are few artists who still thrill me enough to buy them on a random project, but a one-off story drawn by Paul Gulacy can do the trick. Pairing him with Jonah Hex, the disfigured western favorite I like to revisit now and again, was a no-brainer purchase. I don't even mind fourteen Steranko-style mostly silent pages. It's the remaining eight, filled with expository dialogue and a tacked-on epilogue that doesn't quite make sense, that costs the issue points. Writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray get in their own way, and less forgivable, Gulacy's. It's not a tragedy, but next time they should remember, "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."


R.E.B.E.L.S. #4-5 (DC, 2009, $2.99)
I'm currently buying this book for two reasons, my love of Vril Dox and the gorgeous art of Andy Clarke. In their stead, I find here "Brainiac 2" and the nice art of Claude St. Aubin. I liked some of St. Aubin's work for Topps in the '90s, and he's solid here, but it also looks suspiciously like an attempt to mime Clarke. Maybe that's inker Scott Hanna, but setting that aside, St. Aubin's style is still a might stiff and "comic-booky." Tony Bedard keeps laying out the premise instead of moving forward, and the pacing is sucking my interest right out of the title. Factoring in Vril Dox's shrinking screentime and lack of punch, as well as his uninvolving new cohorts (among them my least favorite L.E.G.I.O.N.naire after Garv,) and I find myself working out an endpoint for my subscription. This Starro business is just the cherry on top...

1 comment:

wiec? said...

as an avid reader of the Hex series i have to agree that some issues are better than others. i kind of wish they stayed with the silent concept all the way through on #43. not the worst issue ever but far from Grey and Palmotti's best. it's a great series so i'll let them slide.

...nurghophiles...

Blog Archive

Counter


Surrender The Pink?
All books, titles, characters, character names, slogans, logos, and related indicia are trademarks and/or copyright of their respective rights holders.