Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care #36

Batman and Robin #1 (2009)
Hack/Slash Entry Wound One-Shot
Project Superpowers: Chapter Two #0
Trojan War #1 (2009)




Batman and Robin #1 (DC, 2009, $2.99)
I like the new bearers of the mantles, the art, and the villains. I don't care for the decompressed storytelling and the general feeling nothing much happened before the comic book was over. Lightweight and brief, feeling more like a surprisingly good Jeph Loeb script than a Grant Morrison/Frank Quitely pairing.


Hack/Slash Entry Wound One-Shot (Devil's Due Publishing, 2009, $2.50)
After enjoying the Hack/Slash: New Reader Halloween Treat #1, I was pleased to get a second look at the series. Unfortunately, it didn't play as well this time. The story opened against the backdrop of some sort of paranormal-themed independent comics intercompany crossover, though by the end that may have just been a tease or a gag. The action instead shifted a few pages in to series stars Cassie Hack and her "monstrous partner and friend" Vlad on a rather generic adventure, despite a bit of carpet munching (though that has made its way into a few horror movies I can recall.) Whether foreshadowing or satire was intended through the parallel storylines, I just found myself frustrated and disinterested by the end that neither came to a satisfying conclusion (double entendres unintended.) At least Tim Seeley's art was nice to look at, as was a pin-up section.


Project Superpowers: Chapter Two #0 (Dynamite, 2009, $1.00)
In one of my first reviews for this blog, I gave Project Superpowers #0 a nod, though in retrospect that was clearly driven more by nostalgia and potential than what was on the page. This was evident to me by the time of my review for Project Superpowers: Chapter Two Prelude, and as it turned out, I gave the trade collection a pass. Now the second maxi-series is gearing up, and by this point my interest level seems to be in freefall. I'm sick to death of these Twilight of the Super-Heroes retreads, by now including Alex Ross' own Kingdom Come. Further, this book fairly reeks of the Bush Administration, whose time is so done it seems to have sank the entire Republican party for a few more elections. Worse, the storytelling has the musty smell of '70s Captain America, and if anything the characterization has put me off mightily from these heroes, in no way recalling their Golden Age origins beyond names and some especially silly costumes. Finally, I'm done with these "Alex Ross projects" in which unknowns do all the actual work. Is it just me, or is Dynamite Entertainment the new Charlton Comics?


Trojan War #1 (Marvel, 2009, $3.99)
"Marvel Saga Presents: The Illiad?" Sure, squeezing epic poems into comic book mini-series takes some serious editing skills and an abundance of exposition, especially in a book filled with good sized panels and splash pages. Regardless, Roy Thomas has always had a gift for adapting outrageous stretches of material without turning them into textbook slogs, while the art by Miguel Sepulveda and Jason Martin is lushly rendered and never claustrophobic.

2 comments:

DamonO said...

"Finally, I'm done with these "Alex Ross projects" in which unknowns do all the actual work. Is it just me, or is Dynamite Entertainment the new Charlton Comics?"

Actually, with these painted covers masking less compelling artwork between the covers, I'd say Dynamite Entertainment is the new GOLD KEY Comics.:-)

Frank Lee Delano said...

Good point! I'm going to have to remember to steal that for a future review!

...nurghophiles...

Blog Archive

Counter


Surrender The Pink?
All books, titles, characters, character names, slogans, logos, and related indicia are trademarks and/or copyright of their respective rights holders.