Thursday, January 31, 2008

DC Spotlight #1 (1985)

Click for full view

The links just keep on coming! After seeing Rob's spotlight on DC Spotlight at The Aquaman Shrine, I felt I ought to supply him with an Aquaman related interior page at The Idol-Head of Diabolu! However, there was more to this special than just a Kirby piece, so I'll carry on right here.

Aqualuv


Now, Rob makes reference to the DC Sampler in his post, of which I once owned the first from 1983. It was totally a window into a another universe, especially as convenience stores were almost totally Marvel product by then. How could I not be awed at splash pages of oddities like Amethyst and Atari Force? Who exactly was the All-Star Squadron, and why were their brains being drained? Was the letter "A" to DC as "X" was to Marvel? Classic! I think I sold this treasured gem for $0.20 back in my shop days, though it was barely still a solid by that point.

Sadly, '85's "Spotlight" went the Marvel Age/Amazing Heroes route, eschewing those big beautiful ads in favor of random excerpts from the comics and lots of dull editorial text. Well, okay... the Watchmen pin-up was pretty nifty. Is this a common illo or no?

2 comments:

rob! said...

wow, cool-o frank! i think you just saved me $50 on ebay. thanks!!

2 unrrelated things i noticed:

--Ozymandias looks much more evil than he would in the series(perhaps not wanting to give it away?)

--does Harbringer on the back cover look unbearably sexy, or is just me?

Frank Lee Delano said...

Dude, it's Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez! Even Hex looks kinda hot.

Speaking of uncomfortable visions of masculinity, I was too busy really really hoping those were Dr. Manhattan's ankles to notice Ozy...

...nurghophiles...

Blog Archive

Counter


Surrender The Pink?
All books, titles, characters, character names, slogans, logos, and related indicia are trademarks and/or copyright of their respective rights holders.