Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #26

Dynamo 5 #0
The Mighty #1
R.E.B.E.L.S. #1 (2009)




Dynamo 5 #0 (Image, 2009, $0.99)
After thoroughly enjoying my reading of Jay Faerber's Noble Causes Vol. I: In Sickness And In Health, I'm deeply disappointed by my first follow-up of his work. Totally generic characters run through a blandly cliché plot for ten lackluster pages of rushed art by Mahmud A. Asrar. The premise of a hero team consisting of the bastard children of the deceased superman Captain Dynamo isn't bad, but the execution here is pedestrian. Each member has one of the Captain's old powers, but doesn't strength, shapeshifting, telepathy, eye-beams, and flight sound like it would be more interesting in one package, while rather common for a team? Worse, there's so little hint of individual personalities among the 5, it made me long for the comparatively meatier, exposition laden Marvel Age preview stories from the '80s. The book ends with ham-fisted foreshadowing for the previously initiated, and a two page text recap of the series so far, which I can't imagine anyone would read on the "strength" of the lead feature.


The Mighty #1 (DC/Wildstorm, 2009, $2.99)
A super-hero born in the atomic of the 1950s has a top secret crew that cleans up after him. The head of this organization is murdered, leading to a successor with personal ties to our hero, likely on the precipice of startling revelations about the ominous Übermensch. Holy shit, did I manage to stay awake while typing that description? Peter J. Tomasi and Keith Champagne have been reading their Warren Ellis, and regurgitated an adequate representation. The art of the under-appreciated Peter Snejbjerg is the only draw to the latest incarnation of every third Wildstorm comic published (see also: cheesecake; pop-culture tie-in.)

R.E.B.E.L.S. #1 (DC, 2009, $2.99)
The announcement of this new series, starring my favorite fascistic Coluan, was the only thing keeping me from clearing out all regular DC titles from my pull list for the first time in about seventeen years. Needless to say, it has a lot to prove, but I'm afraid it hasn't managed it yet. The first issue only offers a very rough and disjointed sketch of the series' premise, plus some guest appearances. Vril Dox is in gloriously arrogant character, and there's some neat ideas offered, but the book will need to level up to justify my continued purchase. Helping immensely is the very attractive, eurocentric art of Andy Clarke. I've been a fan of this guy, who recalls Travis Charest, since his brief guest stint on Aquaman. Clarke's recent efforts have been marred by unfaithful ink embellishment, so I'm thankful he's providing his own here. Mark my words, Clarke is on his way to superstar status.

No comments:

...nurghophiles...

Blog Archive

Counter


Surrender The Pink?
All books, titles, characters, character names, slogans, logos, and related indicia are trademarks and/or copyright of their respective rights holders.