Thursday, February 19, 2009
A Frank Review of "The Wrestler" (2008)
The Short Version? WWE leftover's last days.
What Is It? Drama.
Who's In It? Mickey Rourke,
Should I See It? Yes.
The Wrestler is a funny movie. I don't mean funny ha-ha, though it has its moments, but in how it's being received. You see, I became a Darren Aronofsky fan after seeing "The Fountain," which most found maudlin. "Pi" was interesting, but the critically-acclaimed "Requiem for a Dream" left me shaking my head. So now I've seen the director's latest work, which is almost universally well received, and I just think it's okay. The film reminds me of every other silly sports movie about a grizzled old veteran reaching for the brass ring one last time. Also, The Wrestler is one of the few films Aronofsky didn't write for himself. Even while peering into the lives of the doomed junkies in "Requiem," Aronofsky always seemed empathetic towards his subjects. Here, there's a pervasive sense of satire, as though Aronofsky is mocking his characters with the utmost sincerity. The film is also shot handheld, where Aronofsky's work was growing increasingly more pristine and calculated. The look works for the project, but between its shooting style, '80s callbacks, and subject matter, I'm reminded more of the documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster* than anything.
Mickey Rourke continues to remind audiences of what they saw in him before his long downward spiral into self-parody. His plastic features even serve him for once, as it perfectly suits his character. Marisa Tomei plays the stripper with the heart of gold, still trying to retroactively earn her supporting Oscar. God bless her still very tight body, on full display, by the way. Even Rachael Wood plays the wayward daughter, bringing a lot of weight to what amounts to a handul of scenes and an under written part. Everyone performs, but they're in a darker and sexier than average Disney career revival flick. It's a crowd-pleaser, but challenging? Artful? Not so much.
Added bones: Mickey Rourke's hilarious, NSFW '09 Spirit Awards Acceptance Speech for Best Male Lead...
- A Frank Review of Film/TV/Performance/Arts (218)
- Aliens (12)
- Anecdotal (16)
- Bantam-Blog (4)
- Comic Box Trot (54)
- Delanopinions (36)
- Dirty Trader: Book/Graphic Novel Reviews (110)
- Emmanu-Wednesday (38)
- Indexes (8)
- Linkypeux (75)
- Meme-O-Scope (39)
- nurghophonic jukebox (73)
- Obscure Character Handbook (17)
- Pepsi Maximum Challenge (4)
- Scripture (3)
- Smelly Brown Paper (Scans of Yore) (173)
- Super-Hero Feast (33)
- The Bedazzler: Arts and Crafts (18)
- The Super-Hero Books (29)
- The Trouble With Super-Heroes (10)
- The Under Guides Graphic Novel Podcast (3)
- Toys (1)
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care (Comic Reviews) (194)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (37)
- ► 2012 (102)
- ► 2011 (111)
- ► 2010 (136)
- nurghophonic jukebox: "Black Flag" by King's X
- Chuck Patton
- 1993 Who's Who in the DC Universe Update #2 Bloodw...
- Emanuelle in America (Part 2, 1976)
- Obscure Character Handbook: Kishana Lewis
- 1993 The Creators Universe Starwing and Nightfire ...
- Amazing Heroes #202: Aborted Titans/Nightwing Plan...
- Who's Who In The !mpact! Comics Universe Binder Co...
- nurghophonic jukebox: "Anything" by Sixpence None ...
- A Frank Review of "The Wrestler" (2008)
- Emanuelle Bianca e Nera Videos
- John Byrne's Next Men Book One
- nurghophonic jukebox: "Breakin' Dishes" by Rihanna...
- 2001 Aaliyah Album Comic Book Ad
- Custom Oedi Overpower Chararacter and Special Card...
- Obscure Character Handbook: Abel Carmody
- The Walking Dead Volume 9: Here We Remain (2009)
- Wednesday Is Black Tuesday For All I Care #25
- Empowered Volume 1 (March, 2007)
- A Frank Review of "Rise: Blood Hunter" (2007)
- Kitty's Kostume Korner (April, 1983)
- nurgh's Worst. Songs. Ever. #2: Heartspark Dollars...
- Wednesday Is A DC Finale For All I Care #24
- Emanuelle in America (Part 1, 1977)
- A Frank Review of "Che: Part One & Part Two" (2008...
- Despero Custom Valentine Card
- 1976 NCG Merchandise DC Comics Super-Hero T-Shirts...
- ▼ February (28)
- ► 2008 (333)