Monday, March 10, 2008

NURGH! Greatest Songs Of Our Time!!!! #3: "Skip A Rope" by Henson Cargill (1968)

I first heard this song a good decade or more back, and it gave me chills. I can't think of anyone I ever played it for who didn't love it. Per Wikipedia: "The song became a huge hit, spending five weeks at Number 1 on the country charts in 1968 and also making the Top 25 on the Pop charts." I don't know who made the video, but one comment caught my eye...

"I tried to post a comment a couple of hours ago about "Skip A Rope" but it hasn't shown up. As one of the writers of the song, I only wanted to thank the people who had made such wonderful comments about the song. Do you have some rule that a writer can't make a comment.
I am confused.
D.G. Tubb"



Oh, listen to the children while they play,
Now ain't it kinda funny what the children say,
Skip a rope.

Daddy hates mommy, mommy hates dad,
Last night you shoulda heard the fight they had,
Gave little sister another bad dream,
She woke us all up with a terrible scream.

(CHORUS)

Cheat on your taxes, don't be a fool,
Now what was that they said about a Golden Rule?
Never mind the rules, just play to win,
And hate your neighbour for the shade of his skin.

(CHORUS)

Stab 'em in the back, that's the name of the game,
And mommy and daddy are who's to blame.

Skip a rope, skip a rope,
Just listen to your children while they play,
It's really not very funny, what the children say,
Skip a rope, skip a rope.

No comments:

...nurghophiles...

Blog Archive

Counter


Surrender The Pink?
All books, titles, characters, character names, slogans, logos, and related indicia are trademarks and/or copyright of their respective rights holders.