Friday, July 25, 2008
1981 George Pérez JLA/JSA Pin-Up
Justice League of America #195 featured the umpteenth annual team-up of the Justice League of America and the Justice Society of America, this time under the pen of a master. I'm not slighting guys like Mike Sekowsky or Dick Dillin, but when it comes to iconic, perfectly on-model images of super-heroic collectives, Pérez is one of the undisputed champions. The JLA is dead solid perfect, excepting the first three at the top. For some reason, I've never been able to accept Pérez on Superman, perhaps because his realistic style minimizes the Man of Steel. His Wonder Woman was one of the best by the mid-80's, but here his handling is bland and unsure. Red Tornado seems both too robotic and too lifelike, if that's possible. You see, Pérez offers RT a mystique with his narrowed eyes and his subtle Mona Lisa smile. Meanwhile, Red Tornado has always been a shit character with no personality and the nuance of a jackhammer. Those three seem woefully out of place amongst the other gorgeous, finely rendered Leaguers.
The JSA had more problems, as their proportions are awkward, looking a bit too much like fan art. Robin looks excellent though, recalling Pérez's work with the young her on New Teen Titans, and most importantly covering up his terrible Earth-2 costume. At least Dick was in that fetid Composite Batman suit he was also afflicted with at times. Huntress and much of the bottom row also fared well.
- A Frank Review of Film/TV/Performance/Arts (218)
- Aliens (12)
- Anecdotal (16)
- Bantam-Blog (4)
- Comic Box Trot (54)
- Delanopinions (36)
- Dirty Trader: Book/Graphic Novel Reviews (110)
- Emmanu-Wednesday (38)
- Indexes (8)
- Linkypeux (75)
- Meme-O-Scope (39)
- nurghophonic jukebox (73)
- Obscure Character Handbook (17)
- Pepsi Maximum Challenge (4)
- Scripture (3)
- Smelly Brown Paper (Scans of Yore) (173)
- Super-Hero Feast (33)
- The Bedazzler: Arts and Crafts (18)
- The Super-Hero Books (29)
- The Trouble With Super-Heroes (10)
- The Under Guides Graphic Novel Podcast (3)
- Toys (1)
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care (Comic Reviews) (194)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (37)
- ► 2012 (102)
- ► 2011 (111)
- ► 2010 (136)
- ► 2009 (350)
- A Frank Review of "Little Children" and "Venus"
- Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
- The Walking Dead Volume 8: Made To Suffer (2008)
- San Diego ComiCon 2008 Analysis
- Ask Men.com's Top 99 Women 2008 Edition
- An Index of Frank Movie Reviews
- 1981 George Pérez JLA/JSA Pin-Up
- A Frank Review of "Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr....
- The Comic Book Heroes: The Return of the Heroes
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care
- A Frank Review of "Southland Tales"
- A Frank Review of "The Dark Knight" and the traile...
- 1966 Mattel "Fright Factory Thingmaker" Ad
- 1978 Slim Jim "Satisfy Your Meat Tooth" Dracula Ad...
- 1966 AMT "Grandpa Munster "Digs" The Drag-U-La!" A...
- The Great Comic Book Heroes: Superman
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #8
- A Frank Review of "28 Days Later..." (2002) & "28 ...
- The Vixen #1 (Nov-Dec 1978)
- Mel Gibson is "Jew Hating Schmuck"
- A Frank Review of "Revolver"
- A Frank Review of "BIGGER, STRONGER, FASTER*"
- The Comic Book Heroes: The First History of Modern...
- A Frank Review of "The Short Films of David Lynch"...
- A Frank Review of "Birth" and "The Invasion"
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #7
- Super Runs
- Captain America "Patriotism" Inspirational Sign (2...
- Smelly Brown Paper (Scans of Yore)
- Rotten Tomatoes' 25 Best Action Movie Heroines
- A Frank Review of "The Gathering" (2002) and "Dark...
- ▼ July (31)