Between Netflix halfway getting its shit together and a sudden urge this week, I got to get my cinephile on. I received "Singapore Sling" in the mail, which allows me to produce an impromptu list of my most fucked-up viewing experiences off the top of my head. Do note that this list is subject to change, and beware of spoilers-o-plenty...
5) Cannibal Holocaust: The original "Blair Witch Project," which was so compelling in its pseudo-documentary style that Italian officials tried to have the director arrested for murder. While that charge was meritless, actual animal cruelty does come into play. A swine appears to be shot dead on screen, a possum painfully gutted, and a giant turtle is decapitated and disemboweled. Several women are "raped," one with a stake-- which is later used to beat her to death, just another of many "murders." A woman is subjected to an involuntary abortion, men have their penises severed, and all manner of body parts are treated as cuisine. In spite of all this, the film is curiously low-key and oddly smug.
WARNING! NOT SAFE FOR WORK! CONTAINS NUDITY AND EXTREME VIOLENCE!
4) Singapore Sling: A quasi-sequel to the noir classic "Laura," but despite being filmed in black & white, no one could ever confused this with classic cinema. We've got "erotic" electroshock treatments, seemingly legitimate sexualized regurgitation, faked golden shower/g-spot orgasm, incest, extensive bondage, torture, role-playing, necrophilia, and grievous injury to the private parts via hunting knife as phallus. I still can't tell if the acting was atrocious or pitch perfect for the material. If any of the above appeals to you, you're a twisted shell of a human being like me, so I heartily recommend this freak show.
WARNING! NOT SAFE FOR WORK! CONTAINS NUDITY AND VIOLENCE!
3) Bumfight: What's more appalling than bribing substance abusing, mentally handicapped derelicts to beat up on each other until bones break? How about also bribing them to have sex with each other, injure themselves, and expel all manner of bodily substances (blood, piss, shit, vomit, & cum inclusive.) Still not enough? How about we then dress some asshole up as the Crocodile Hunter and have him assault unsuspecting indigents? Still not enough? Then how about you fucking kill yourself, you soulless lump of shit. These are real people, you prick!
WARNING! NOT SAFE FOR WORK! CONTAINS NUDITY, REAL VIOLENCE, COARSE LANGUAGE, and the potential to destroy your faith in humanity!
2) Visitor Q: When a movie opens with a Japanese man bribing his daughter for sex on videotape, you know it's all downhill from there. By that, I mean in terms of successive depths of depravity. Takashi Miike's films alone could fill up a list like this (I'm sure "Ichi the Killer" and "Audition" would make my top 10,) but none can quite compare with what happens when David Lynch gets processed through the minds of the nation that brought us tentacle rape porn and soiled schoolgirl panties in vending machines. Most of the atrocities previously mentioned make a showing here, with the added fun of illogical narrative and gallons of lactate.
NOT SAFE FOR WORK! CONTAINS... um...uh...?
1) Happiness: While in no way as graphic or shocking as the previous entries, Todd Solondz's masterpiece is heinous because of its quality. The movie is filled with characters to empathize with, as they are subjected to an endless stream of emotional brutality. The acting, writing, and direction are uniformly superb, which might explain why it remains one of my favorite movies, even though I'm very selective about who I will share it with.
NOT SAFE FOR WORK! Also contains um and uh...
- A Frank Review of Film/TV/Performance/Arts (215)
- Anecdotal (16)
- Bantam-Blog (4)
- Comic Box Trot (54)
- Delanopinions (36)
- Dirty Trader: Book/Graphic Novel Reviews (102)
- Emmanu-Wednesday (38)
- Indexes (8)
- Linkypeux (75)
- Meme-O-Scope (39)
- nurghophonic jukebox (73)
- Obscure Character Handbook (17)
- Pepsi Maximum Challenge (4)
- Scripture (3)
- Smelly Brown Paper (Scans of Yore) (173)
- Super-Hero Feast (33)
- The Bedazzler: Arts and Crafts (17)
- The Super-Hero Books (29)
- The Trouble With Super-Heroes (10)
- Toys (1)
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care (Comic Reviews) (190)
- ► 2013 (37)
- ► 2012 (102)
- ► 2011 (111)
- ► 2010 (136)
- ► 2009 (350)
- Empire's 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters
- Showcase #92 (8/70)
- Twilight Book II of III (1990)
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #12
- Emmanuelle (1974)
- Virgin Sacrifice
- Obscure Character Handbook: Mr. Gargoyle
- The Trouble With Wonder Woman
- Showcase #91 (June, 1970)
- Twilight Book I of III (1990)
- My Top Five F'd-Up Movies of the Moment
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #11
- X Omnibus Volume 1
- A Frank Review of "Tropic Thunder"
- The Dirty Trader Index!
- Sexual Harassment @ ComiCon
- Wonder Woman #175 (1968, Part 2)
- Wonder Woman #175 (March-April 1968)
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #10
- A Frank Review of "Hacked To Pieces" and "Evil Dea...
- A Frank Review of "Pineapple Express" (2008)
- Ask Men.com's Top 99 Women 2007 Edition 100-50
- Ask Men.com's Top 99 Women 2007 Edition 100-50
- NURGH! Greatest Songs Of Our Time!!!! #5: "Cities ...
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #9
- A Frank Review of "Popcorn" (1991)
- Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #2 (August, 1972)
- Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #1 (June, 1972)
- Ask Men.com's Top 99 Women 2006 Edition #1-49
- Ask Men.com's Top 99 Women 2006 Edition 100-50
- ▼ August (31)