Monday, December 1, 2008
A Frank Review of "The Astronaut Farmer" (2006)
The Short Version? Failed astronaut turned farmer builds rocket, but ticks off government.
What Is It? Family film
Who's In It? Billy Bob Thornton, Virginia Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Blake Nelson, J.K. Simmons
Should I See It? No.
I love Billy Bob Thornton as a screenwriter, and often like him as an actor, but I wish he did more of one than the other. The man is not the most discerning when it comes to performing other folks' scripts, y'see. For instance, this movie, while good-natured, is just all kinds of dumb. It seems to chase the Disney crowd, but Billy Bob's character is too much of a flake and questionable role model to sit well with that lot. He plunges his family deep in debt, yanks his kids out of school, runs afoul of Homeland Security, and even turns down a free ride on a modern rocket in pursuit of a really dangerous dream. Don't do this at home. The movie also seems to push for science education and a love of of conventional space travel, but any fans of that sort of thing are going to bust a gut at the gross inaccuracies portrayed.
Billy Bob himself is one-note. Virginia Madsen is much better, completely selling an unlikely character. She deserves better. Tim Blake Nelson serves well in a thankless role. Bruce Dern seems befuddled, hopefully on purpose, and appears a few times as a deus ex machina. J.K. Simmons puts on his J. Jonah Jameson cap. Kiersten Warren is 41, and must bathe in the blood of virgins, along with the nearly 50 Madsen. There are also some celebrity cameos, including Billy Bob's co-star from that other astronaut movie he was in, which was somehow more plausible than this. Seriously.
- A Frank Review of Film/TV/Performance/Arts (218)
- Aliens (12)
- Anecdotal (16)
- Bantam-Blog (4)
- Comic Box Trot (54)
- Delanopinions (36)
- Dirty Trader: Book/Graphic Novel Reviews (110)
- Emmanu-Wednesday (38)
- Indexes (8)
- Linkypeux (75)
- Meme-O-Scope (39)
- nurghophonic jukebox (73)
- Obscure Character Handbook (17)
- Pepsi Maximum Challenge (4)
- Scripture (3)
- Smelly Brown Paper (Scans of Yore) (173)
- Super-Hero Feast (33)
- The Bedazzler: Arts and Crafts (18)
- The Super-Hero Books (29)
- The Trouble With Super-Heroes (10)
- The Under Guides Graphic Novel Podcast (3)
- Toys (1)
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care (Comic Reviews) (194)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (37)
- ► 2012 (102)
- ► 2011 (111)
- ► 2010 (136)
- ► 2009 (350)
- Laura Gemser Interview Excerpts from "A Hard Look"...
- A Frank Review of "Exit to Eden" (1994)
- nurghophonic jukebox: "Saturday Saviour" by Failur...
- 1994 Marvel Pepsi (Mexico) Quicksilver Hologram #1...
- 1995 DC Comics Legion of Super-Heroes/Superboy Pro...
- The Great Comic Book Heroes: Captain Marvel & The ...
- Polish Movie Posters
- 1997 Just Comics Merry Xmas Suicida Private Commis...
- A Frank Review of "Teknolust" (2002)
- nurgh's Worst. Songs. Ever. #1: One Sided Love by ...
- 1995 DC Pepsi Cards (Mexico)
- A Frank Review of "The Ice Harvest" (2005)
- Underlining Meaningful Passages In My Copy Of The ...
- A Frank Review of "Rocket Science" (2007)
- Laura Gemser Head Shot Pin-Up #2
- Marshal Law #6 (April, 1989)
- JLA: Salvation Run
- A Frank Review of "Let the Right One In" (2008)
- The Great Comic Book Heroes: Batman, Fox & Fiction...
- A Frank Review of "Thriller: A Cruel Picture" (19...
- A Frank Review of "Shortbus" (2006)
- Emanuelle in Bangkok (Conclusion, 1976)
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #22
- A Frank Review of "The Ruins" (2008)
- A Frank Review of "Waitress" (2007)
- Super-Heroes On Gay Marriage
- Reservoir Dogs vs. The Usual Suspects
- 1988 Epic Comics "The Light And Darkness War" Ad
- Emanuelle in Bangkok (Part One, 1976)
- Wed. Is Any Day For All I Care #21
- A Frank Review of "The Astronaut Farmer" (2006)
- ▼ December (31)