The Short Version? Doc on shock.
What Is It? Documentary.
Who Is In It? Cast and crew.
Should I See It? Yes.
Part 1: Introduction (NSFW)
Blue Underground put together this recollection of the making and impact of Massacre in 2000, and it has since been released as part of Dark Sky Films' 2-Disc Ultimate Edition of the original picture. It's a pretty solid set of intercut interviews with most of the cast and creators behind the picture. It is in that area that Shocking earns its recommendation, as the subjects are especially candid, sometimes catty, and well worth your time. There are such curious, informative, amusing, and nauseating anecdotes that fans of the film will eat up, how could I not?
It is in the additional materials I find fault. Narrator Matthew Bell is plainly trying too hard to recreate John Larroquette's tone in reading the text scrawl from the original film, and his forced delivery grates where it appears. There's an attempt early on to create an historical context for the piece, with reference to the crimes of Ed Gein and a consideration of the trailblazing Night of the Living Dead. The doc then fails to acknowledge the influence of Psycho, the work of Herschell Gordon Lewis, nor any other obvious antecedents to Tobe Hooper's film besides Last House on the Left. Instead of the cultural critics, sociologists and noteworthy directors who often pop up in these types of documentaries, outside those involved in the original film, there's no one remotely noteworthy. A couple of horror directors of negligible films fawning is the closest the doc comes.
There's a lot of random period footage from Texas, in no clear way connected to the actual production, and some other awful stylized junk the doc director inflicts every once in a while. During a sequence detailing the longstanding ban of the film in the UK, wholly inappropriate footage of Nazi rallies and book burnings run. It's obnoxious.
So again, the interviews make this documentary, as the extras are more tumorous than of added value, but when weighed in the balance it is not found wanting. The whole documentary is available free on YouTube (well, as of this writing, anyway.) So long as it remains so, you can view it through the embedded screens below...
Part 2: Conception, Pre-Production, and Making (NSFW)
Part 3: Special Effects, Set Design, etc. (NSFW)
Part 4: The Dinner Scene and other painful shooting (NSFW)
Part 5: Post-Production, Distribution, Release, and the Mafia (NSFW)
Part 6: Reception & Sequels (NSFW)
Part 7 More Sequels, Sabotage and Conclusion (NSFW)
- A Frank Review of Film/TV/Performance/Arts (215)
- Anecdotal (16)
- Bantam-Blog (4)
- Comic Box Trot (54)
- Delanopinions (36)
- Dirty Trader: Book/Graphic Novel Reviews (102)
- Emmanu-Wednesday (38)
- Indexes (8)
- Linkypeux (75)
- Meme-O-Scope (39)
- nurghophonic jukebox (73)
- Obscure Character Handbook (17)
- Pepsi Maximum Challenge (4)
- Scripture (3)
- Smelly Brown Paper (Scans of Yore) (173)
- Super-Hero Feast (33)
- The Bedazzler: Arts and Crafts (18)
- The Super-Hero Books (29)
- The Trouble With Super-Heroes (10)
- Toys (1)
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care (Comic Reviews) (192)
- ► 2013 (37)
- ► 2012 (102)
- ► 2011 (111)
- ► 2010 (136)
- "Look! Up in the Sky! (A sneak peek at John Byrne'...
- Irredeemable Volume 1 (July 2009)
- A Frank Review of "District 9" (2009)
- riot Magazine, Volume #1, Issue #0 (1997)
- 2005 Dreadstar & Company by Jim Starlin and Alan W...
- 1985 Vanth Dreadstar by Jim Starlin
- The Linkypeux for September 17-23rd, 2009
- 90s Vanth Dreadstar and Syzygy Darklock Convention...
- 1982 Amazing Heroes "The Secrets of NoMan" Page
- 1984 Star Comics Wally the Wizard House Ad
- 1984 Star Comics Top Dog House Ad
- 1984 Star Comics Royal Roy House Ad
- Toasting Absent Heroes: Alan Moore discusses the C...
- The Linkypeux for September 10-16th, 2009
- Wednesday Is Blackest Night For All I Care #41
- nurghophonic jukebox: "American Made" by Oak Ridge...
- Blockbuster Weekly/Comics Cavalcade Weekly
- 2007 Michael Bair Valkyrie! Sketch
- Supergirl by Kevin Nowlan
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents: Introduction "First Encount...
- Wednesday Is Timely For All I Care #40
- The Linkypeux for September 1-9th, 2009
- Nick Fury, Black Widow and La Contessa Valentina A...
- Daredevil and Black Widow by Paul Gulacy
- 1986 Matt "Daredevil" Murdock and Natasha "Black W...
- SFX Magazine's 50 Greatest Superheroes Poll
- A Frank Review of "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (...
- A Frank Review of "Flesh Wounds: Seven Stories of ...
- A Frank Review of "Texas Chain Saw Massacre: The S...
- The Linkypeux for August 24-31th, 2009
- ▼ September (30)
- ► 2008 (333)