Friday, November 18, 2011
A Frank Review of "Madmen of Mandoras" (1963)
The Short Version?They Saved Hitler's Brain!
What Is It? Thriller
Who Is In It? Hitler!
Should I See It? Maybe.
For an early '60s black and white public domain bomb, Madmen of Mandoras is decent. The plot is a total hash of disparate elements that only go together because of the assumptions of the genre, rather than a sense whoever wrote the screenplay ever read it again afterward. People keep getting kidnapped or shot in service to a gobbledygook conspiracy of super-villainous impracticality involving Nazis and Latin American strongholds. The important thing is stuff keeps happening, so at least it isn't completely boring. Everybody do a shot when somebody gets shot, and it'll do wonders. The main reason to watch of course is the same as it was when some UCLA students tacked on twenty minutes of new footage in 1968 to turn it into a "head" film: there's motherfucking Hitler's head in a motherfucking glass jar. Dated technique be damned, it looks really cool and wrong, plus, y'know they do things-- with the head. Not Barbara Crampton things, but still, wicked.
- A Frank Review of Film/TV/Performance/Arts (218)
- Aliens (12)
- Anecdotal (16)
- Bantam-Blog (4)
- Comic Box Trot (54)
- Delanopinions (36)
- Dirty Trader: Book/Graphic Novel Reviews (110)
- Emmanu-Wednesday (38)
- Indexes (8)
- Linkypeux (75)
- Meme-O-Scope (39)
- nurghophonic jukebox (73)
- Obscure Character Handbook (17)
- Pepsi Maximum Challenge (4)
- Scripture (3)
- Smelly Brown Paper (Scans of Yore) (173)
- Super-Hero Feast (33)
- The Bedazzler: Arts and Crafts (18)
- The Super-Hero Books (29)
- The Trouble With Super-Heroes (10)
- The Under Guides Graphic Novel Podcast (3)
- Toys (1)
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care (Comic Reviews) (194)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (37)
- ► 2012 (102)
- Brit, Vol.1: Old Soldier (2007)
- 1991 Miller Lite "Then, Now, and Forever" Commerci...
- 1980 S W Studios Masquerade Make-Up Kits ad
- Wednesday Is Any Day For All I Care #127
- A Frank Review of "Madmen of Mandoras" (1963)
- Wednesday Is Not-So-New 2+2 #126
- Death's Head Resolicitation (August, 1991)
- A Frank Review of "Night Court: The Complete First...
- Luke Cage Noir (2010)
- Mutant Genesis Ad (August, 1991)
- Wednesday Is Leftovers For All I Care #125
- ▼ November (11)
- ► 2010 (136)
- ► 2009 (350)
- ► 2008 (333)